Monday, June 13, 2011

Big Man Japan

When I said I was about to unleash some reviews, I truly meant it. I feel like a slacker for having started something that I really enjoy, and not keeping up with it. This review blog is as much for me as it is the reader, so, in not writing, I am doing a disservice to myself as well as you. I watch a lot of off-the-wall stuff (if that hasn't been readily apparent), and much of that wackiness comes from Japan. The Japanese have a long and rich theatre culture, starting with the Kabuki in 1603 and running through the early 50's and 60's creature features of Godzilla, Mothra, and Gamera. Most recently, Japan has been turning out creepy ghost story films like Ringu and Ju-On, which have been immediately optioned and re-made by Hollywood starring the hot actress of the time to draw in the numbers, and usually there is something lost in the translation. Big Man Japan is a creature feature much like the good old days, and has been optioned for this treatment, so I wanted to make sure I got to it before they did.



Yes, even goofier than this.
Big Man Japan is presented documentary style (or mockumentary, if you prefer), and tells the story of Masaru Daisato, latest member of Japan's Ministry of Monster Prevention, a position he inherited from his father and grandfather, where, when given large doses of electricity, he grows to 30 meters, and becomes Big Man Japan. Once in this form, and wearing purple underwear, he proceeds to "defend" Japan from the goofiest assortment of mega-monsters ever put to film, live action or anime. These encounters between the inept Big Man and the monsters are not only great visual effects, but hilarious in their undertaking, as Big Man usually wins by default, and causes more damage than he prevents. The people think he is a buffoon, and though they celebrated his grandfather and father as Big Men, they scorn the current incarnation, and actively cheer for his defeat. Not helping matters are his agent, who while getting rich off her Big Man client, berates him for not bringing in enough ratings, at one point kidnapping him in his sleep and forcing him into a "Live" fight with a popular rival to boost said sagging ratings. All the while, when he is not Big Man, Daisato lives in near poverty, and is estranged from his wife and daughter.

I love using this picture.
While the fight scenes with the strange creatures are great, the best being the one where no fighting even happens, the real movie on display here is the man that Daisato is, and how you can see him realizing his failures but diligently trudging on. His own home is constantly littered with signs and postings from the people telling him what a screw-up he is, but he just takes it and goes on to the next monster. He also has his family issues to deal with, like the one mentioned previously with the wife, and one with his senile grandfather, who longs for the old days when he was Big Man, and tries to re-capture them in several poignant and uproarious scenes. And then there is the ending, which, I have to say, blew my freaking mind. I still don't know what happened, and watching through the credits didn't help either. I can't even describe it. All I can say is be prepared, the final act is just out there. I definitely recommend this one, watch it before Hollywood does a number on it.


7 out of 10 Fists.

No comments:

Post a Comment